[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Gary Pownall gary_pownall at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 09:45:43 UTC 2009

On 4 Jun 2009, at 14:01, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> I am on the verge of getting personal laptops for both members of the
> household. I am mainly waiting on my partner deciding whether he would
> like a laptop proper or a netbook, and have a reasonable shortlist of
> models.
>
> He would be wanting Windows on his, more than likely, and I will want
> Debian on mine. I would like them to be identical, hardware-wise, in
> the interest of troubleshooting.
>
> Wired and wireless connectivity is essential, and built-in 3G,
> Bluetooth and webcam would be nice but not essential. To have them in
> different colours would also be nice. Looking at a minimum of 160GB
> storage on each machine.
>
> I have looked at various retailers and direct suppliers. Dell seem to
> have everything we want at a reasonable price apart from putting
> Windows on almost everything, or I could get EeePCs. There are other
> nice models around but not much information as regards how well they
> might work with Debian. I have checked John Lewis, PC World and Scan,
> mainly for ideas.
>
> Are there any readily-available machines that I might have overlooked?
> The sort of thing available directly or by going to a retailer
> (anywhere in the London area or a little beyond) would be better than
> something I might have to wait for. If there is a chance of a discount
> for buying two machines, that would be good too.
>
> I am looking to buy the machines early in September, so of course
> things could have changed by then. However, if I get my new work
> laptop before the beginning of August, it will be more urgent.
>
> TIA for any information.

I've heard these are very good at supporting most flavours of Linux,
in fact you can buy it with SUSE pre-installed.  I've also heard that
Debian and ubuntu etc... work fine on them also.  Naturally windows is
supported.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/transtec_levio_210_and_the_levio_550_notebooks.html

Gary

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk