[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 16:12:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 03:36:17PM +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
[...]
> I had one of these: http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/compaq/ when my
> father discarded it in about 1990. Lovely computer.

If you're getting nostalgic, I recall seeing one of those at the National
Museum of Computing in Bletchley Park, which has a good collection of iconic
machines. If you ask nicely and don't look like you'll break it, they will
probably let you use it.

They have a load of the popular 80s computers out on display for the great
unwashed to destroy, mainly because there are still millions of replacement
units cluttering up attics up and down the country.

A day return to Bletchley is about £24 from London, and entrance to the park
is £10 per annum.

(Come to think of it, I have some stuff that I don't need any more and that
the museum doesn't appear to have.)

> But you're not wrong. Pedantry aside though, is there any way a Mini _can_
> be considered a portable? Yes, I can carry it. I can carry a sack of rice
> too, doesn't make it special portable rice.

The requirement to plug it into the mains scuppers the idea of using it as a
totally mobile device, but given that constraint, you can still use it
headless as an embedded system. To bring it vaguely back on topic, it'd be
much better at that job once you've installed Linux on it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk