[Gllug] Netbook recommendations?

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 15:41:26 UTC 2009

2009/6/11 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>

> Hello,
> ================Snip========================

> I have thought about the Acer One, but I want to hear opinions about any
> similar machines.
>
> Needless to say I want something that runs Linux, either as sold or
> that can receive it without much tinkering (I no longer have the
> patience to spend long sessions making a home machine work :-) ).
>
> I would appreciate your experiences and recommendations on this regard.

=================Snip=========================

Hi,

Last time in the UK, I bought an Acer Aspire One. It came with 1GB memory,
160GB hard drive and linux installed. It runs well.

My first change to the system was to install Ubuntu netbook Remix. I am
truly impressed. Many will tell you that I am easily impressed!

For the money, I can't fault it. The screen is fine and the keyboard is OK.
I wouldn't want to write a book on it but that is not to say that you
couldn't.

To be honest, I took a chance when buying it as I couldn't get my hands on
one to try first. I haven't been disappointed.

It fits nicely in the outer pocket of my in-flight carry-on  bag. I can
watch a movie on it in flight with no probs. The sound through headphones is
quite acceptable, although I wouldn't bother listening to a movie or music
without them. (Never felt the urge to try speakers!)

The wireless connection is flawless...... So far!

So far, it has handled all that I have wanted to do with it  and based on my
experience with the machine, I would certainly consider other Acer machines.
Having said that, all of my machines are really only used in near domestic
conditions. Those with more demanding requirements may have other
observations to make.

To put it simply, I use the Acer One Aspire daily and would not consider
traveling with anything bigger. I have configured it to connect to all of
our family's networks. I just turn up, switch on and go!

HTH

Bob G.