[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jun 10 09:50:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:24:45AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:03:21AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> >
> > Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!! From the release notes, it seems you still can't
> > install the OS in text mode unless you're prepared to forgo things
> > like LVM, which quite frankly, I consider essential. I just can't
> > understand why they keep getting this wrong. Morons. FWIW, Ubuntu
> > is just as bad[1].

[snip]

> As to Fedora not supporting LVM in text installer, that
> does sounds daft to the point of being a bug. Could just
> an oversight, or maybe not implemented due to time or
> space limitions. Best way to find out could be to file a
> bug and see the response.

Sadly, I believe this was a delibrate decision. Text mode was 'simplified'
with the belief that people who don't want to do GUI installs typically
just use kickstart. FWIW, i think this is shortsighted myself :-(

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|