[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Jun 4 20:14:49 UTC 2009

Quoting "Christopher Hunter" <cehunter at gb-x.org>:
> You'd certainly be better off going for one (or a pair) of the Dell
> jobs.  Dell sell them with Ubuntu on them (if you ask nicely), so they
> have good compatibility,  and they will reduce the price if you refuse
> to have Windows on them (though you have to DEMAND that they omit it!).

Do you mean I could ask nicely for an Inspiron 15 with no Microsoft
stuff on it? Nice if so...

> You should be able to get a pair of the Dells for the price of one HP!

David has unfortunately remained rather non-committal regarding the
question of laptop vs. netbook - but based on what he saw in PC World
(even after I told him to ignore the price) he said that if paying
"that much" (£400-500) he would prefer to have one with a number pad.

Any recommendations on such models? If not, I think I will go for the Dells.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk