[Gllug] Thoughts on secondhand server guide price

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 09:13:22 UTC 2009

> If you need to do something "securely" (define securely)  then It is a
> matter of deciding at what point any method you use is secure enough.
> If you justifiably need to be paranoid about wiping out your disk you
> should not waste time with software, your disk should be destroyed
> physically, whatever residual cost a 2nd hand disk may have surely it
> is not worth whatever damage could be inflicted on an individual or
> organization which is worried about the disk's contents.

In the past I have worked for organisations who did the following as it
meant you definitely werent getting their data.

Degaus drive
Dissassemble drive
Take hammer to platters
drop all of bits and components, in large acid vat.

Little bit of overkill but it did mean that no one got drives from there
with any data.

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk