[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Jun 4 13:01:36 UTC 2009

I am on the verge of getting personal laptops for both members of the
household. I am mainly waiting on my partner deciding whether he would
like a laptop proper or a netbook, and have a reasonable shortlist of
models.

He would be wanting Windows on his, more than likely, and I will want
Debian on mine. I would like them to be identical, hardware-wise, in
the interest of troubleshooting.

Wired and wireless connectivity is essential, and built-in 3G,
Bluetooth and webcam would be nice but not essential. To have them in
different colours would also be nice. Looking at a minimum of 160GB
storage on each machine.

I have looked at various retailers and direct suppliers. Dell seem to
have everything we want at a reasonable price apart from putting
Windows on almost everything, or I could get EeePCs. There are other
nice models around but not much information as regards how well they
might work with Debian. I have checked John Lewis, PC World and Scan,
mainly for ideas.

Are there any readily-available machines that I might have overlooked?
The sort of thing available directly or by going to a retailer
(anywhere in the London area or a little beyond) would be better than
something I might have to wait for. If there is a chance of a discount
for buying two machines, that would be good too.

I am looking to buy the machines early in September, so of course
things could have changed by then. However, if I get my new work
laptop before the beginning of August, it will be more urgent.

TIA for any information.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk