[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Fri Jun 5 09:09:03 UTC 2009

>> How are Compaq and Acer? Notable that their models have the number pad
>> but not sure how easily they would meet my needs...
>
> Juergen is wrong about Dell - they used to be quite poor, but these days
> they're pretty good for budget machines.
>
> I wouldn't bother with Compaq - they're usually just re-badged things
> with a big mark-up and poor support (we had a couple at work, and had no
> end of problems with them).  I've got a couple of Acer Aspire netbooks
> (who really needs the number pad?), and they're superb once you put a
> proper Linux distro on them!

Dell is crap because:

 - propriatary Interface to external CD/DVD Rom
 - propriatary Interface from mains to Power Supply
 - Quality of Case to bad (Plastik)
 - Support for private Customer exeptionally bad
 - Transport Fee exeptionally high
 - not enough USB-Interfaces
 - you will have to pay the MS-Penalty Fee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk