[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 16:49:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:48:51AM -0400, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> On Thu Jun 18 11:08 , Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> sent:
[...]
>> Hopefully that's the overinflated list price rather than what sensible
>> people actually pay?
> Probably not.  Just a few numbers:
> 2 Tb Desktop drive £200 x  8 = £1600
> 1 Tb Desktop Drive £ 75 x 16 = £1200

Those are VAT-inclusive prices, of course. I presume the storage array price
previously mentioned is ex VAT.

> This is RAW storage using consumer level drives.  Looking at Enterprise class
> drives gives you more along the lines of:
> 10,000 RPM
> 0.15 Tb £130 x 100 = £13,000
> 15,000 RPM
> 0.15 Tb £260 x 100 = £26,000

Fast 300GB disks are readily available, and not much more expensive than the
147GB units. For example, a 300GB 15,000RPM Fujitsu drive is £192.48, or if
you prefer Seagate, that's £245.30. So that's "only" £12k for 15TB of the
fastest hard drives that money can buy.

So yes, there's still going to be a fair bit of room to negotiate on the
price of the drive array.

Incidentally, if you built this 15TB array out of 160GB Intel SSDs - £442.17
each - then the 15TB array would set you back £41k.

(All prices pulled from scan.co.uk, so are retail prices for one-offs.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk