[Gllug] WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased range please!

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 14:20:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:09:46 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
[snip]
> ISDN is rather old technology now. Why are you still using it?
> I have extensive technical knowledge of ISDN and supplied equipment to
> telcos.
> I used to have ISDN for my home office, but dumped it a long time ago
> in favour of ADSL.
> ADSL is much much faster for internet traffic than ISDN. ADSL not only
> gives you a fast internet connection, it also gives you a standard
> POTS telephone line for your fixed phone line.

You make it sound like ADSL is an alternative to ISDN.  It's more correct
to think of ISDN as an alternative to POTS.

ADSL is designed to work in addition to an existing telephone connection -
either POTS or ISDN.  BT claim that offering both POTS+ADSL and ISDN+ADSL
would cause unacceptable interference, and so offer only POTS+ADSL.
ISDN+ADSL is commonly available in other countries though.  It has
significant advantages - two simultaneous conventional calls, rock-solid
digital connection etc.

We were rather behind in the implementation of ISDN when ADSL came along,
and given BT's refusal to offer both together it has rather killed the
market for ISDN, but arguably we're the ones who are using old technology
in the UK with POTS+ADSL.  More advanced countries offer ISDN+ADSL.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk