[Gllug] Thoughts on secondhand server guide price

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Wed Jun 17 07:54:46 UTC 2009

Andy Millar <andy at andymillar.co.uk> writes:

>> /dev/urandom is a bit faster than /dev/random (usually)
>
> And a little bit less secure :-)
>
> "A counterpart to /dev/random is /dev/urandom ("unlocked" random source)

Is that what it stands for? I always just remember it as un-random.

Also, a bit late for the OP, but if you want to keep your data away from
prying eyes you can just encrypt the filesystem. Then you don't need to
wipe the disc at all, just wipe the knowledge of the key from your own
brain.[1]

Matthew

[1] Actually you should wipe the disc anyway if you are really
paranoid. If an attacker has the disc in his possession he can just
brute-force (over the course of many centuries perhaps) the key.

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk