[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Jun 18 15:48:51 UTC 2009

On Thu Jun 18 11:08 , Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> sent:

>On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 03:24:57PM +0100, Andy Millar wrote:
>[...]
>> A 16T TB SATA "enterprise" storage solution (I'm going on 6 month old Dell
>> quotes here...) comes in at about £26,000.
>
>Hopefully that's the overinflated list price rather than what sensible
>people actually pay?

Probably not.  Just a few numbers:

2 Tb Desktop drive £200 x  8 = £1600
1 Tb Desktop Drive £ 75 x 16 = £1200

This is RAW storage using consumer level drives.  Looking at Enterprise class
drives gives you more along the lines of:

10,000 RPM
0.15 Tb £130 x 100 = £13,000

15,000 RPM
0.15 Tb £260 x 100 = £26,000

Again just RAW storage costs.

Granted, these are street prices and you can probably do better, especially
ordering 100 at a time, you won't see a 50% reduction in cost.

Now, try buying enough enclosures, redundant power supplies, redundant
connections, etc to make this into a full storage subsystem and you will find
that £26,000 is not too bad a price for enterprise class equipment.  Now if you
are looking at "Near line" storage rather than front line, you can get away with
the pokey 7200 RPM 3.5" drives and probably bring your cost down, but you are
giving up the redundancy and speed (performance) that you will receive on a the
enterprise class storage solution.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk