[Gllug] Seeking some laptop advice

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:31:37 UTC 2009

Hello,
> Dell is crap because:
>
>  - propriatary Interface to external CD/DVD Rom

Out of date information.

>  - propriatary Interface from mains to Power Supply

Out of date information.

>  - Quality of Case to bad (Plastik)

Same as pretty much anything out there.

>  - Support for private Customer exeptionally bad

Not in my experience.

>  - Transport Fee exeptionally high

Some comparative figures would be useful.

>  - not enough USB-Interfaces

How many do you need?  I have 2, and a 4 port USB hub.  No problems.

>  - you will have to pay the MS-Penalty Fee

Incorrect.

To answer the OP:

I've had excellent results with the original IBM laptops, no
experience with Lenovo.  But as someone else says, these aren't
available any more.

I've also had good experiences with 2 x Dell Latitudes.  Absolute
work-horses, been very happy with them.

Bad experiences with the 'newer' Compaq laptops - hardware was poor.
Newer HP laptops have been adequate.

I'd go for a Dell again - sensible price/performance.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director