[Gllug] Open Office downloading over https?

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 08:58:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:00:57AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> Just monitoring my firewall, I noticed a rather large amount of
> traffic to a specific ip: 141.92.130.30 over https.
>
> Tracking this down, I discovered it's coming from one user's macbook,
> and looking on that macbook I see that openoffice is holding open this
> connection.
>
> 141.92.130.30 doesn't seem to resolve to anything, and I can't think
> of any reason why openoffice would need this connection.
>
> Anyone got any experience with this, or any ideas?

If you use firefox to download+open a file the application it execs
inherits all open fds since firefox doesn't bother with close-on-exec[1].
So it's possible that the traffic was from the download of the file
and by the time you checked it has finished and was opened inside
openoffice.

Kostas

[1] I wonder if this "feature" can be exploited in some way.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk