[Gllug] Fonts problem in Debian

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon Jun 29 09:51:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:51:42AM +0100, Ben Whyte wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a couple of odd font problems at the moment and wonder if anyone
> could help.
>
> When I run xfontsel I get the following
>
>  xfontsel
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
> Error: Aborting: no font found
>
> and when I run Eterm I get this
>
>  Eterm
> Eterm:  Error:  Unable to load font
> "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1".  Falling
> back on "k14"
> Eterm:  FATAL:  Couldn't load the fallback font either.  Giving up.
>
> If its any help to anyone I am running Debian unstable.

I haven't got unstable installed atm but xfontsel works fine in stable (lenny).
Unstable is unstable. It will break.
Always worth checking http://wiki.debian.org/Status/Stable
When a stable release goes out, unstable can become very unstable and there was a stable point release (5.0.2) at the weekend.

You could check bug reports.

Regards

L.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk