[Gllug] [OT] Battery Life

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Jun 18 19:35:32 UTC 2009

On Thu Jun 18 13:41 , Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> sent:

>I'm very impressed with the 7 hour battery life of my new MacBook Pro.
> However, what should I do to ensure it remains good?  I seem to
>remember various often conflicting pieces of advice.  For example, is
>it good to use the battery?  Should I charge it, then use it on
>battery until it's nearly empty, the recharge it?  Does it do any harm
>to have it plugged in even when it's fully charged?
>
>What's the current wisdom?

I don't usually RTFM someone, but a quick google for "maximize battery life"
gives a direct link to Apple's Support website where they have a nice article on
this.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

The short answer is, don't run it plugged in 100% of the time.  Run it on battery
at least occasionally and then fully charge it again.  Another article I read
recently stated basically the same thing.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/07/beginners_battery_maintenance/

Andy Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk