[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 10 09:47:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:15:06AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> --------
>
> James Hawtin writes:
>
> >but what the hardship of doing a graphical one to work out all the
> >options get your kickstart file and use that to cookie cutter it
> >out many times?
>
> Why do you assume I want to do it many times? Typically, I want to
> install a single machine, once. In a datacentre many miles away,
> over a serial console.

If the machine has any sort of networking as well as its serial
console, then there is an option to install over VNC.  You just add
'vnc' to the boot command line, and then connect to it over the
network when it prompts you.  (There are also options for setting a
password, etc., but generally VNC isn't very secure - best to tunnel
it all over ssh).

Of course that might not be suitable for your setup.

The reason why text-mode installs have reduced functionality is simply
because Jeremy Katz has to write the UI twice (once in Gtk and once
using the horror that is newt).  The text based UI gets fewer
features.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones