[Gllug] WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased range please!

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:42:24 UTC 2009

Given the recent degeneration of some recent topics, I am somewhat
reluctant to post this! However, from my distant memories of how helpful
GLLUG members were to me when I was able to attend meetings I thought
that I would take a chance! ... Here goes...

We have a modest home network that comprises an aging AMD desktop
running Ubuntu Server, an equally aging Pentium 4 desktop running that
other OS from Redmond, two laptops similarly running that OS , a laptop
and a netbook both running Ubuntu (Jaunty).

The desktops are both connected to a wireless Baudtec modem/router via
Ethernet. Not surprisingly, the laptops connect via wireless.

We are looking to upgrade our network and were wondering what solutions
members could suggest to increase the wireless range. We get by at the
moment but I intend moving what I laughingly call my 'office' along with
the phone connection, modem / router and two desktops into the roof
space of our house. I anticipate problems with wireless connections to
the portable jobbies.

I would ultimately like to be able to access the network over three
floors, all of which are separated by reinforced concrete. There is an
awful lot of steel used in the construction of our house which tends to
play havoc with wireless signals.

The only other 'issue' that I have is that we have an ISDN phone system
and the modem/router has to connect through this.

My initial research suggests that the N1 or N+ range from Belkin may fit
the bill but being naturally suspicious of manufacturers claims, I
thought that I would ask the opinions of those with practical
experience. I guess that the nearest people in the UK are likely to come
to my problem is if such a system was to be installed within a modern
office block because of the similar construction.

I accept that to get the maximum coverage there will have to also be an
outlay for additional wireless adaptors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Bob Giles.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk