[Gllug] Troubleshooting Memory Leak

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:01:10 UTC 2009

I have a CentOS 5 server running nginx, httpd and a dozen or so
mongrel instances.  Since this morning I've been experiencing a
serious memory leak - about 2G in 2 hours, until the machine needs to
be rebooted.  I've tried to answer the question "what changed", and I
can't think of anything on my side...

In top, and related tools, I see no processes growing in size - all I
see is the amount of memory available constantly reducing.

The sort of thing I can think of that fits the evidence would be
something like a process is being created and then dying without
returning the memory to the system.

However, I am unable to see the malloc's, and I can't currently think
of a way to test this theory.

I suspect systemtap may be the tool to use - anyone have experience of
using it in this way, or have a recipe they could point me to?

Any other ideas for troubleshooting and gathering info?

Thanks in advance,

S.

--
Stephen Nelson-Smith