[Gllug] Linux has arrived

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:17:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 23:06 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 11:18 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>>
>> > I recently saw a report that about a third of all machines that had been
>> > infected or hacked were fully patched and had up to date anti virus
>> > software. That must be about the normal real-world ratio for M$ boxes.
>>
>> According to an ex-MS programmer friend of mine (he saw the light a
>> while ago), the rate of infection with malware is close to 100%!  The
>> only "clean" MS machines are those that have never been connected to the
>> outside world.
>
> Althought it may be fashionable to bash Windows it's nothing like that
> bad. Estimates of infection rates vary enormously but I haven't seen any
> that were even close to 100%. I'd guess that it's something less than 1%
> but even that small percentage is a vast number of machines.

I concur with this. Relatives of mine have Windows machines and they
have never been infected as far as I can tell (they don't get spam, no
outgoing spurious traffic, etc).

Also in companies where I have worked there was enough man power and
money to keep things under control, highly inefficient if you ask me,
but the machines were clean.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk