[Gllug] ntfs defrag

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Mar 3 09:34:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:54:18AM +0000, Avi wrote:
> Lucy Peters wrote:
> > I have a ntfs partition for my data files. I know Windows xp has a
> > program to de-fragment the ntfs drive in order to improve the speed of
> > accessing the data to the disk. Are there a similar program in linux to
> > provide such data maintenance for the disk?
>
> An NTFS defragger is slated to be part of ntfsprogs, but it's not
> actually there yet:
> http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsdefrag

Writing to, as opposed to reading from, NTFS partitions under Linux has
always been considered risky.  Since the only circumstances under which
most people would be mounting NTFS on Linux would be a dual-boot system,
why increase the risk when there's another OS on the computer that can
perform the task safely?

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"