[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Mar 7 14:37:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 11:15:25AM +0000, Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Is that really all there is to backing out or is there more? Also,
> what about a Redhat / CentOS system, can you just install the older
> RPMS on those and things will be fine?

No.

One thing you might try, assuming you can take the system offline for
half an hour or so, is to use our virt-p2v tool to virtualize it.
Perform any updates and tests on the virtual machine (copy), and when
you are happy, you can go back and do it for real on the live system.

Actually I did talk to a user who was trying precisely this method,
using virt-p2v (successfully).  They wanted me to add a V2P tool so
they could take the upgraded virtual machine and use it to overwrite
the physical machine ... I declined to implement that :-|

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat