[Gllug] Laptop overheating an OS X issue or also PC/Linux?

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Mar 28 16:44:46 UTC 2009

gunzip wrote:
> My G4 PowerBook and my girlfriend's 9-month-old MacBook both overheat and hers has even resulted in discoloration/cracking of the plastic casing. Although I run Linux on a couple of desktops and servers I currently can't test whether PC laptops running Linux suffer from the same issues. If not, I'm probably going to switch to a Linux laptop as I'm disillusioned with the Apple bullshit that by paying so much more for your kit you get something which is better quality. There are too many reports of faulty Apple hardware for me to continue having faith in their products but if this overheating problem is a generic laptop issue I'll have to think again.
>
> gunzip

Have you tried getting lm_sensors to work on it? If the motherboard has
temperature sensors that it understands then you can get some readings
from it. Or smartmontools can extract the temperature of the hard disk
and give you another way of finding out what's up. Does the fan run all
the time? What's the CPU load like?

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk