[Gllug] Current advice for HD purchase ...

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Mar 4 15:18:16 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> The USB 2 wire speed is 60MB/s, but protocol overhead means that the
> useful maximum throughput is about 30MB/s in practice.

most specs I seem to come across seem to say 480Mbps, but I am guessing
that is just specified capability. Reaching those speeds might be harder.

But that 30MB/sec number looks quite low, will try and find a usb device
that I could test with.

> The 160GB Seagate disks I bought in 2005 can read off the platter at
> 60MB/s. When replaced with 500GB disks in 2008, the performance went
> up to 100MB/s.

I've not seen a single spindle get upto those speeds, even when attached
to sas/sata/scsi interfaces. What did are you checking where you get
these speeds ? Although you do say 'disks' implying there might be more
than 1 spindle involved.....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk