[Gllug] Yoof got mail

Fri Mar 13 16:04:30 UTC 2009

Alistair Mann wrote:
> I don't know the range of the internal speaker, but you can test it
> yourself using linux: beep -f 14000 for 14Khz, and it will make efforts
> up to 20Khz.

=hmmm, neither SuSE 10 nor CentOS 5.2 offers `beep`.

=At first I thought this was some incredible hack/wind-up. I entered the
`beep` and was just reading the errmsg, when this 'ring tone' erupted
from behind me. In some confusion I got up and checked my phone: had it
run out of battery and squawked its last in some unusual fashion? No!
Nothing on my server. UPS is ok? Then I thought to look at a client's
WinXP m/c that I had just booted into Administrator - sure enough, the
HP MFP wanted to check for a software update and had issued the
bingly-bong...

> http://saunderslog.com/2006/06/12/the-mosquito-ring-tone-this-adult-can-hear-it/
> seems to have a suitable mp3. Funnily enough, I can hear it fine -- and
> I'm well beyond teenagerdom. Could he use that instead, through the main
> speakers?

=downloaded and tried those on the WinXP portable and heard nothing.
Tried them through external speakers, and like you, heard them all (but
then once an RTO, always an...)

> Cheers,

=I don't think they will be loud enough, as is, but we may be on the
right track, er, tune...

=Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk