[Gllug] [O/T] Grr... new keyboard

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 11 23:52:34 UTC 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, James Holland uttered the following:

> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 23:25 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> It's not an irrelavence, it's a perfectly reasonable rule we ask people
>> to adhere to.
>>
>> http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#id2561128
>
> I'm not sure how reasonable it is, however the only comprehensible
> answer that I remember reading last year in a similar discussion was:
>
> 'These are the rules of our group. Stick to them!'

There's a perfectly good reason: interspersed quoting means that any one
response is readable without the others, and is readable as a little
document with time flowing conceptually forwards as you move down the
page.

The English language is typeset from top to bottom, not the other way
around, and *certainly* not some mix of the two where each succeeding
paragraph is typeset above the one that preceded it. These 'rules' are
literally thousands of years old, predating the printing press and
possibly the Roman Republic and the Latin alphabet. Why change something
that works so well?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk