[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue Mar 24 11:50:50 UTC 2009

On 24 Mar 2009, at 11:18, Lucy Peters wrote:

> My bank account has been compromised recently. they transferred fund
> from my account to the people I don't know. I use foxyproxy, ubuntu
> firewall and only use the cookies from the site. I don't keep any
> cookies from 112.207 or anything other than from the main site. I
> wonder how the people found my details online.
>
> what else can I install to prevent identity thief from happening
> again ?

Identity *theft* is usually a social issue. Use better/more secure
passwords. Don't use the same password on 2 sites (nobody needs to
"hack" your bank account if they can get your email login details and
recover access to your bank from there), protect your personal data,
etc. Consider switching to a bank who use some kind of secureid type
token rather than secret keys (passwords etc).

If your bank account has had funds removed due to fraud, you'll be
protected against this. If your bank are refusing to refund the cash
due to you being somehow at fault (e.g. if you didn't protect your
login details adequately) then this is likely to show you at least one
vector to address.

I'm not sure why you think people stole your details through your PC.
It's possible, of course, but keyloggers under Linux are rare, and the
network level traffic will of course be SSL encrypted. If you have
evidence that the machine is compromised then get it _off_ the
Internet _now_ and reinstall it. If you've no reason to suspect a
compromise then it seems more likely that your login details were too
easy to guess. Your bank will be able to help you by providing
relevant http access log entries from the sessions where your money
was withdrawn.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk