[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Mon Mar 9 10:35:36 UTC 2009

John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> writes:

> 2009/3/8 Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk>:
>>
>> I  liked the fact that it appears to be at least quadratic and possibly
>> worse in the number of files. I made the mistake of trying to use it to
>> back up an entire machine - perhaps 100GB at that time - and I gave up
>> after a few days of waiting...
>
> I would not use it to back up 100GB of a system. Use it for the OS disk.

Yes, that was roughly how the bug in Debian got closed.

Still seems wrong to me - I was looking for a solution to dump a
complete backup of the machine onto archivable media, and Mondo claimed
to do exactly that. Nowhere in the documentation did it say "oh, don't
use it if you've got a lot of stuff you want backing up"...

> Recently I had to install two new desktop machines with SLED (suse
> enterprise desktop).
> As soon as I had them working I attached a USB DVD drive and made a
> Mondo Rescue backup.
> Just pressing the default options worked OK, and each machine backed
> up to a single DVD.

Yes, I'd hope it would work for the really simple cases :-) Just, if it
says "backup" on the tin, you don't expect it to mean "backup a little
teeny bit"...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk