[Gllug] Grr... new keyboard

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 15:32:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 02:51:06PM +0000, Harry Rickards wrote:
> Want I want to know is why the windows key is commonly referred to as
> the super key by some Linux distros...

The Super key is mainly used in emacs, and dates back to the keyboards
used on LISP machines at MIT, where emacs was born:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key_(keyboard_button)
	http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/space-cadet-keyboard.html

The Apple key can also be mapped to Super.

In theory you could have a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts mapped
onto the Super key. But most people ignore it or use it as a second
Alt key.