[Gllug] Testing spam filter

Marcus Taylor marcus at fatbeehive.com
Sat Mar 7 15:23:34 UTC 2009

Tim Porter wrote:

> Aside from signing up to loads of dodgy sites all over the net is there
> a way to test that a spam filter is working properly?

You should be able to configure you mail server+scanner to report the
spam status in the headers if the mail. This should show you if it was
checked and maybe what it was checked against. If it has a score
[spamassin] this could also be in there.

In my experience you just have to try it - if you get spam - it's not
working.

I send mail to a qurantine which we check every now and then to be sure.

If you are using spamassain you can send a mail containing a certain
string which should always be marked as spam:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/gtube/

Cheers
|     Marcus Taylor     |                            Tel: 0207 7398704 |
+-----------------------+                 Email: marcus at fatbeehive.com |
| Systems Administrator |               Web: http://www.fatbeehive.com |
|    Fat Beehive Ltd    | 2nd Floor, 59 Rivington St, London, EC2a 3QQ |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk