[Gllug] Come a cropper with LVM

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Mar 19 12:16:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:07:36PM +0000, David wrote:
> The disk layout:
> There are three physical Volume Groups (p1, p2, p3). p1 (sda2) and p2
> (sda3) are primary partitions on the same physical drive, contain
> multiple logical volumes and free spaces. p3 is constructed from two
> logical partitions within a single extended partition on a single drive,
> but on physically separate areas of the disk, and consists of a single
> logical volume (LVsrv) and (currently) a little free space.

Erm, this sounds confused to me.  Are p1, p2 and p3 physical volumes or
volume groups?  You don't seem to be clear about the difference.  I'm
guessing that you mean volume groups, looking at the description of p3.
But it doesn't make much sense even if they are volume groups;  why
didn't you just create a bunch of PVs and make one single VG from them?

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin