[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Mar 7 23:41:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 04:42:05PM +0000, Matthew King wrote:
> Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 11:15:25AM +0000, Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> >> Is that really all there is to backing out or is there more? Also,
> >> what about a Redhat / CentOS system, can you just install the older
> >> RPMS on those and things will be fine?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > One thing you might try, assuming you can take the system offline for
> > half an hour or so, is to use our virt-p2v tool to virtualize it.
>
> Why would you want to take the system offline to do that?

virt-p2v is a live CD, so you have to boot into it, which requires
taking the system offline while the P2V happens.  This isn't a hard
technical requirement (you can use snapshots directly, and VMWare
probably can do it live with some fancy tool), but it's what virt-p2v
supports for now.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones