[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Mar 24 13:23:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 06:18:45AM -0500, Lucy Peters wrote:
>    My bank account has been compromised recently. they transferred fund
>    from my account to the people I don't know. I use foxyproxy, ubuntu
>    firewall and only use the cookies from the site. I don't keep any
>    cookies from 112.207 or anything other than from the main site. I
>    wonder how the people found my details online.
>    what else can I install to prevent identity thief from happening again
>    ?
>    Lucy

Sometime people can give out details by mistake by going to a typo site,
bookmarking you bank's login url is a good idea. When you first get the
https information, check the certificate is valid and for who you expect.

Are you using a broadband router? Thieves have been developing hijacks for
them, where the default password has not been changed, a common think for
them to do is to then put in place poisened DNS servers. The best way to get
arround this one is run your own DNS server on your own computer.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk