[Gllug] Testing spam filter

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Mar 8 15:14:36 UTC 2009

John G Walker wrote:
> Hmmm. I don't really think I want do such things to the 430 spam
> emails I received last week, or the similar number I'll receive next
> week or the week after. They don't deserve it, and this would
> constitute the major part of my email transmissions if I did reply to
> them.

You're confused, or I'm confused by what you're saying.

There are two basic approaches to dealing with spam:

1) Reject it at SMTP time
2) Accept it and file it accordingly.

My approach is option 1.  Mail thought to be spam doesn't get in the
building, and a 5xx error is generated at SMTP time.  If the sender is
genuine, they get a system generated email telling them that their email
wasn't delivered.  If the sender isn't genuine, errr, there's no real
problem.

Option 2 puts the onus on the recipient to deal with spam messages
which, to me, is entirely the opposite of having a spam filter.

If you really are getting 430ish spam per week hitting your mailbox,
then maybe you'd like to give my filter service a go, you get 30 days
for free.

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk