[Gllug] ntfs defrag

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 08:09:01 UTC 2009

The degree of fragmentation must, surely, be inevitably a function of the file-
system usage pattern?  The more files get expanded/contracted/deleted the worse
fragmentation is likely to become. Having said that I have never really found
a great need to defrag a *nix filesystem. Probably the safest way of doing it
is to backup to another filesystem or tape, re-make the filsystem on the
partition and then restore from the backup. Presumably an 'on the fly' defragger
has to have an intimate knowledge of the filesystem - if Windows defrags are
anythying to go by I would not trust the results!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk