[Gllug] Pricing for a domain

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Mar 4 10:50:28 UTC 2009

On 3/3/09 21:56, tid wrote:
> I've been approached by someone offering to buy a domain name I own.
> Does anyone know if there are any metrics for pricing of domain
> names, or indeed of pitfalls of selling domain names? I'm aware that
> domains, like a lot of things are only worth what people are prepared
> to pay for them, but as I'm pretty broke at the moment, want to get
> decent value.

I've paid $1,000 for a domain name before as we really needed it for a
project we were working on. We would probably have paid quite a lot more.

By 'need' I mean want in a marketing sense :-)

Do you know who's buying and why they want it ?

Any sensible person would keep that information close to their chest.

The gold dust are the big multinationals who's spent millions on lining
up a marketing campaign and realise at the last minute that they don't
have the domain name. They're often prepared to spend quite a bit to
acquire it.

The other end of the pricing voodoo is asking yourself 'how much would
make me feel happy and not ripped off' ?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk