[Gllug] speed up bootup

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 14 10:00:37 UTC 2009

2009/3/13 Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk>:
> My ubuntu 8.10 takes nearly 2 minutes to boot up. I installed preload and
> boot up manager to disable ntpdate, pcmcia, ppp, powernowd, rsync ,
> fetchmail and postfix but the boot up time still takes over one minute and a
> half.
>
> What else can i do to speed up improve performance ?

That was a question I looked at when working at CERN a few years ago.
I installed Serel on a test system http://www.fastboot.org/
The purpose was really more to visualise the startup times - at that
stage, the CERN grid systems had a very complicated bootup procedure,
as they had scripts in there which had to cope with several types of
legacy Unix systems.
My conclusion in the end was that Serel didn't do much for the overall
boot time.

But in answer to your question - install Serel, boot it up, paste the
boot log into their webpage. Let us know what you find is the
bottleneck. this could be quite interesting.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk