[Gllug] Biometrics?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 11:51:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:37:53AM +0000, Andy Millar wrote:
> Are we looking at this the wrong way?
>
> Surely the purpose of the biometric data on the card is to match user to card?

A DNA check can not be done on the spot, that will have to
fingerprints, facial and retinal scans.

The ID card itself is actually of little purpose, the important
thing is the database and what is on it.

Even if you don't carry a "real" card, you will be carrying a
"virtual" one in your fingers, face and eyes.

And there is another problem, replacing the identifying token.
If a password is compromised I can change it quickly and easily.
Can't do that with biometrics.