[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Mar 25 17:05:18 UTC 2009

[snip]
> I followed-up an earlier poster's comment about AAISP and noted that
> they have an offer to sort out problems as they take over an account.
> Don't think they are LLU, but looks jolly attractive from here, but will
> appreciate anyone's experiences...

I've been very happy with them.  They're not perfect but they are small
and willing and you can get to talk to someone who actually knows his arse
from his elbow, isn't on the Indian sub-continent and isn't reading from a
script.

They are also totally upfront about usage limits.  None of this
"Unlimited*" (footnote - *actually severely limited) crap.  I pay for a 3
gig connection which means 3 gig / month during working hours, 100 gig /
month off-peak and weekends and genuinely unlimited in the middle of the
night (when I do mirrors and backups).

I do feel that those protesting about ISPs' advertising have picked the
wrong thing to complain about.  "Up to 8 gbps" or "up to 2 gbps" are
perfectly reasonable descriptions provided they go on to explain all the
things that might prevent you getting that speed (not all of them anything
to do with the ISP).  The "Unlimited" claim on the other hand is usually
just a plain lie.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk