[Gllug] Grauniad Technology

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Mar 20 12:53:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 12:40 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> Seriously - Linux has actually been around for a long time, running
> many servers quietly in the background,
> and getting on with the job of running huge systems in places like
> (dare I say it) banks.

And ISPs and many other companies that require reliable systems in the
back end.

> It really winds me up when some journalist writes an article which
> says that Linux is pants because it doesn;t
> have drivers for some half-crippled USB printer or scanner.

They are not wrong though. Linux has only very recently started to be
usable for most users in the desktop space and still faces challenges
from idiot hardware manufacturers who offload operations to Windows only
drivers.

Personally I've run Linux on the desktop for nearly 13 years and I've
been running it in server space for longer. I've successfully produced
and sold Linux to many others for both. I would not however expect any
journalist to know how well Linux has run for so long as they just don't
have the knowledge or experience. They probably also have no worthwhile
connections in the UK Linux communities from which to obtain worthwhile
quotes, etc.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk