[Gllug] Grauniad Technology

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Mar 20 18:49:07 UTC 2009

2009/3/20 Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org>:
> Many of the Windows drivers for notoriously difficult hardware (like
> Lexmark printers) are badly broken, and it's often impossible to obtain
> working drivers at all - a computer salesman friend tells me that this
> is the biggest reason for return of peripherals.

Indeed. I recently bought an HP printer/scanner/copier/fax (HP
Officejet 6310) which has been absolutely panned in Amazon reviews due
to shockingly bad XP and Vista drivers. Yet when I plugged it in to my
Ubuntu laptop the whole thing worked out of the box. No driver
downloads or additional software installs required. I was up and
running with the printer and scanner components in a matter of
moments. The memory card readers work as mass storage devices when the
printer is attached via USB, and the printer itself shows up on the
network when attached via ethernet. If I want I can add a little HP
app (which is in the repository) which lets me check ink levels and do
other printer maintenance.

Quite a non-event really, but in a nice way.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk