[Gllug] [O/T] Grr... new keyboard

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 23:51:36 UTC 2009

On 16 Mar 2009, Peter Corlett verbalised:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:13:54AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> [...]
>> It *can* be, but it's less elegant (generally you need an emacs running
>> somewhere else that is talked to with emacsclient/gnuclient, because it
>> takes way too lomg to start a new one to edit one file).
>
> Emacs takes about a half-second or so to start up on my box. Perhaps you
> need to upgrade to a machine made in the last ten years?

XEmacs is substantially slower: the packaging system has to run
/usr/share/xemacs/{site,xemacs}-packages/lisp/*/auto-autoloads.elc, and
thats quite a lot of files. (The benefit of this is, well, a packaging
system.)

And upgrading is actively underway: the new network will look radically
different from the old (everything run over NFS-plus-cachefs from a
giant RAID array, for starters) and should be a *lot* faster (all machines
new rather than >7yrs old, for starters).

(I hate hardware and hardware hates me, so I never never upgrade
hardware that works tolerably well. My current systems have just dropped
below the tolerability bound and are about to get the axe.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk