[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Mar 27 12:45:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:19:46AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> The "public purse" is merely a euphemism for taxpayers. Nearly two decades
> on, there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to fibre up the country
> given we seem to be doing just fine over copper. It's just an expensive
> folly, so it would have been sensible to can it.

Unless there's been some recent changes in the laws of physics that I
didn't hear about, copper is limited to not much more than we can get
at the moment.  You need fibre to the home (or at least to the
streetbox) to get into the gigabit range of bandwidth.  BT should have
been forced to do this from the early 90s since it was obvious even
back then that it would be needed.  They're still building new houses
and putting in copper, which is just _crazy_.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat