[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 9 21:11:12 UTC 2009

On 9 Mar 2009, Richard Jones stated:
> LVM snapshots are good.  LVM takes steps to inform the filesystem
> layer (sync_fs), block new writers and flush any kernel buffers held
> while the snapshot is taking place.  So you'll get consistency similar
> to -- actually better than -- typing "sync" and pulling the plug.

LVM snapshots also can't be used on / reliably (something you really
do want to have a backup of in a consistent state), and IME are bloody
unreliable at the best of times --- and their failure mode tends to be
to put the *origin* volume in suspended state, fucking over your system
until you can whip out dmsetup and repair it (as long as dmsetup isn't
on the suspended volume), or until you reboot.

I tried to use snapshots in my backup procedure. After the fifth lockup
I decided enough was enough, and ripped them out again.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk