[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Fri Mar 27 15:25:12 UTC 2009

Juergen Schinker wrote:
>>> Nobody. Laying cable is *expensive*.
>> Cable, yes.  Fibre's really cheap, and often doesn't require any digging
>> at all.  One comms company in France (for example) ran fibres down water
>> supply pipes, effectively using the pipework as ducting.  A little
>> creative thought could get the job done effectively and cheaply.
>> Chris
>
> well then i suggest creating many more small exchanges on the "curb"
> so the distances and cable(fibre) laying is easier

Not sure if I agree with the above logic, but this is certainly the
model that the Japanese moved into, and (I'm not sure but think so did)
the Koreans.

However the regulatory environment needs to be sympathetic/amended to
empower and enable the householder or resident to be able to connect to
the cable/fiber sitting right outside - otherwise it is an extremely
frustrating case of so-near yet so-far!

(I once lived in a place, having checked to be sure that 'cable' was
available at that postal address code, only to find when I moved in that
the cable went past the block but connection was not possible!!! Maybe a
lucky escape from shudderingly-bad customer service though...)

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk