[Gllug] Back-out plans on Debian/Redhat?

Khusro Jaleel kerneljack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 13:10:08 UTC 2009

I am NOT going from Etch to Lenny, just to be clear.

I thought even within Etch for example, when applying the updates, you
should do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or 'aptitude dist-upgrade'? Not
just an 'apt-get upgrade'? Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I have installed apticron on all my debian servers and I get an email
when updates are due, and the email is basically a list of packages to
be updated, their changelogs, and at the bottom it says:

======================
You can perform the upgrade by issuing the command:

        aptitude dist-upgrade

as root on <server.com>

It is recommended that you simulate the upgrade first to confirm that
the actions that would be taken are reasonable. The upgrade may be
simulated by issuing the command:

        aptitude -s -y dist-upgrade

The sources.list contains ONLY etch.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk