[Gllug] wireless setup

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Fri Mar 6 13:58:46 UTC 2009

This is how I do it on an atheros chipset machine running centos 5  with wpa
and with the SID turned off, to try things out to begin with I suggest you
turn your sid on and use an WEP or no encryption until you can make contact.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0

TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=ath0
HWADDR=
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=<hostname>
DOMAIN=
ONBOOT=no
ONHOTPLUG=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=no
ESSID=<Correct SID value>
CHANNEL=<Correct Channel Value>
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto

getting it to authenicate is more of a channel, if your SID is turn off you
must put it above rather than using wpa_supplicant, and it only works on
furst try so I bouce the connection as below.

ifdown ath0
ifup ath0 &
sleep 3
wpa_supplicant -d -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

#network={
#       ssid="any"
#       key_mgmt=NONE
#}
network={
        ssid="<put your own sid here"
        #psk="Anew58246Lppdwejgwsoapvfjern395r35ZGWDBP"
        proto=RSN WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        group=CCMP TKIP