[Gllug] LVM defrag

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Mar 5 11:28:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:07:47AM +0000, James wrote:
> I would however question how necessary defraging really is, having a file
> system comming from 2-3 sections of a disk will not cause to many problems,
> having it fragmented over multiple disks will make (potentally faster). OF
> course also increasing the chance of failer of any one drive.

You mean it increases the chance of the filesystem being affected by an
arbitrary drive failure.  Or did you mean that running LVM on top of a
drive makes it more likely to fail?

Of course you should consider this when configuring LVM.  Make your
physical volumes from raid arrays if you need that resilience.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.