[Gllug] [OT] Support model for Linux vs M$

Thu Mar 12 15:39:20 UTC 2009

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Can you give a few examples of Windows software for which there exists no
> Free alternative ? I am frequently asked by FOSS developers for ideas for
> products to develop.

Outlook.

Sure, it's a piss-poor mail client, but it's the *only* Exchange client[1].

I'd *really* like to offer a different PIM client to the staff here,
especially the mac users who're stuck with Entourage, but there really
is no workable alternative to Outlook. And I'm not in anything
approaching a position to demand a switch from Exchange.

[1]I know there is Evolution, but it's sorely lacking in features. I
keep meaning to force myself to use it long enough that I can compile a
decent wishlist, but I keep needing to be productive in money-earning
ways instead.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk