[Gllug] Reverse question - what FLOSS s/w is better than secret-source?

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Mar 13 09:08:40 UTC 2009

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:

> firefox

Not clearly better than e.g. opera, I'd argue. It's "as good as" the
other browsers, but never had a huge lead (except while MS didn't bother
with IE).

> perl, python, ruby
>
> php

Good point - there aren't a lot of closed-source cross-platform
scripting languages out there.

> kde/gnome (maybe)

Hmm - again, they might be OK, but not ahead of the pack. I'm not sure
I'm about to install gnome on my Mac.

> inkscape (?)

Not for general vector drawing. It may be the best svg-based (though
that's because I don't know any others).

> openssh

Yep. Definitely. Throw in PuTTY and friends on Windows.

> samba

Hmm - it's pretty much the only player in cross-platform SMB support, so
yes. On the other hand, MS by definition provide the most accurate
implementation. It'll be interesting to see what happens once the Active
Directory and Exchange documentation leads to better support. I'm
guessing MS will have to do a deal with appliance manufacturers or lose
a fair chunk of SMB revenue.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd